The School Climate Solution:
Creating a Culture of Excellence from the Classroom to the Staff Room
(Free Spirit Press 2016)
A positive learning environment not only makes school a more pleasant place to be for students and educators, research shows that it's also the solution to some of the most important concerns in education today:
- Reducing discipline issues, including meanness and bullying
- Increasing graduation and attendance rates
- Increasing teacher retention rates
- Improving student learning and achievment
Based on over 50 years of research and steeped in social-emotional learning, this book shows you how to involve the whole community in identifying its positive values and to encourage behavior based on those values.
Community meeting agendas engage students and increase student voice.
Dozens of fun, practical, easy-to-use lessons and activities help children and adults master critical social-emotional skills.
For use by principals, teachers, coaches, or any other school leader looking to improve climate school wide or in classrooms, clubs, or other groups.
Inspiring the Best in Students:
Improving Academics and Character Through Social-Emotional Learning
Recent research demonstrates a direct correlation between social-emotional learning (SEL), academic success, and character development. Students who are able to regulate their behavior (i.e. restrain impulses, manage stress and anger, self-evaluate, plan effectively, and persevere) and get along with others (i.e. take others’ perspective, empathize, demonstrate manners and social skills) are significantly more successful both in school and later in life. Inspiring the Best presents:
- A compelling research-based rational for integrating SEL into the school and/or classroom.
- Specific, engaging, student-centered strategies for teaching the emotional and social skills all students need.
- Practical ways teachers can seamlessly integrate SEL into the academic curriculum in any content area.
The ideas presented in this book integrate the research of CASEL (the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning), CSEE (the Center for Social Emotional Education) with the work of William Glasser (Choice Theory), Edward Deci, Richard Ryan, Daniel Goleman (Emotional Intelligence and Social Intelligence, Art Costa (Habits of Mind), and other well-known researchers and practitioners.
This book can be used by teachers, counselors, social workers, coaches, club advisors or any adult who works with young people as a comprehensive social-emotional learning curriculum OR as a toolbox of practical strategies for teaching specific emotional skills (i.e. self-regulation) or social skills (i.e. taking others' perspective).
The Classroom of Choice: Giving Students What They Need and Getting What You Want (ASCD 2004)
Based heavily on world-renowned psychologist and educator William Glasser’s Choice Theory of behavior and motivaiton, this book provides a compelling research-based rationale for replacing the traditional carrot-and-stick approach to classroom management and instruction with a new, more effective approach. Jon Erwin explains why and how to appeal to students’ basic human needs and create a classroom climate and culture that is optimal for quality learning and performance.
Chapter One shares the benefits of appealing to intrinsic motivation and explains each of the five basic human needs, which are at the core of human motivation.
- Survival-- the need for physical and emotional safety, order, and security.
- Love & Belonging-- the need to feel accepted and have positive relationships.
- Power-- the need for learning, competence, achievement, recognition, and to be listened to.
- Freedom-- the need for movement, choices, and novelty.
- Fun-- the need to play.
Subsequent chapters expand on each of the needs and provide almost 200 specific student-centered management and instructional strategies, activities, and games for appealing to them, resulting in:
- A sense of community
- Improved student behavior.
- Engaged learning
- A significant improvement in student learning and achievement.
Click on the images of the books above for more information or to purchase.